Friday, August 21, 2009

Random thoughts

If you have been following all the news happening in developed parts of the world you may have noticed the distinct anti-immigration stance that most countries seem to be taking of late. I find it strange and positively selfish when first generation immigrants, like some of the Indians who are naturalised citizens of the UK, Australia, USA, France and several other countries take up issue against immigration. Don't these folks realise that not too long ago they too were people clamouring to enter that country? Its almost as if these folks have gotten into this life boat and will not allow other poor wretched folks to get in for fear of the boat sinking!! Well, I guess once you are on the inside you dont want others to share 'your' space!! In my humble opinion, its alright for the indigenous people of that country to take that anti-immigrant position but completely unacceptable for immigrants to take that position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thoroughly enjoyed this recent article in the Times of India on Atheism in India - the writer, Prakash Shesh actually brings up an interesting point about Hinduism which seems to have a God even for Atheists! Brihaspati, is the God of Atheists he says! Indeed, its nice to know that Hinduism openly tolerates the concept of atheism and is absolutely ok with the idea that there are people who will not be able to accept the concept of God in their lives. Not so with other religions I understand - in Christianity and Islam you either believe in their God (and no other) or you do not qualify to be Christian or Muslim.

In a recent article author R Jagannathan argues that "Hinduism is essentially agnostic in nature because it allows you to customise god to your requirements. If god can be whatever I want him/her/it to be, it must be my creation rather than something separate from me. This aspect of Hinduism cannot but be appealing to people who seek god without religion." Now thats an interesting take isnt it? But for a rationalist like me even that discount that Hinduism provides me doesnt entice me into buying into the concept of God & religion! Maybe it has to do with the biologist in me - I dont regard creation as something that requires a supernatural element (read God) to cook up!

No comments:

Post a Comment