Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lt. Cdr. Rahul Nair

Sometimes one needs to sit down and try and understand the way of the world - it was not even a month ago that we had the pleasure of the company of Lachu (Lakshmi), Rahul and their extremely cute son Rohaan at Ammu's engagement in Kochi, they had come all the way from Goa. Rahul was a Lt. Commander in the Indian Navy and we were all very proud of the fact that he flew for the Sagar Pawan team - the Indian Navy's aerobatic team - only two navies in the world have their own aerobatic team and the Indian Navy was one of them. At noon today we got news that Rahul was no more, he and his skipper Commander SK Maurya had crashed while performing an aerobatic maneuver in Hyderabad for the Indian Aviation Expo - he was only 33.

Somehow, life just doesn't seem to be fair - how do you tell a three year old kid that his doting father is no more and that he will never see him again? Lachu, Sudha's niece, was married for just five years and lived an enviably happy and contented life - Ammu was a great fan of her Lachu chechi and Rahulchettan - when they were based in Mumbai Ammu would spend extended weekends at their home babysitting little Rohaan. It is amazing how close Ammu got to the three of them over a couple of years.

I wonder too what makes people choose these risky vocations - is it bravado or is it just one of those needs to prove that you are up to any challenge? I ask because I spent a while on a submarine a few days ago - when you get into one of those behemoths you cannot but be amazed at how cramped and confined the space inside is and how many valves, gauges, pipes and instruments have been crammed into that confined space. When you have to spend long days in one of those boats below the sea with almost half the normal oxygen levels and completely inadequate sleeping arrangements it really must appear that only crazy folks will opt for such a vocation! One can only hope that Ashwin and his ilk who opt for such a life below sea level enjoy what they do and at the end of the day feel they have lived up to the standards they set for themselves.

I hope Rahul too feels this way and wish that life, at least in the future, will be fairer to his lovely wife and child.

9 comments:

  1. dear tusky

    I am a journalist in a Malayalam daily.
    I want more information about rahul and his family... If you can... Kindly contact me...
    R.Abhilash
    indilayappan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abhilash, Since Rahul was married into the family I really do not have too much info on him other than the fact that he lived a very quiet and contented life with his wife and son in Goa. I am not sure how many times he has done those maneuvers but he recently did it in Kochi around Navy Day, I know he did it in Lonavla for the 25th anniversary of INS Shivaji. My thoughts are with Lakshmi and Rohaan and the rest of his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a journalist, I had an opportunity to meet Lt Cdr Rahul when his team had come down to Kochi in December 2008 for an aerobatic show. The team, I still remember, was vibrant and radiated a rare energy.
    Like you, when the question as to what drove them take to flying, especially aerobatic flying, crossed my mind,I queried and the team leader Cdr Satyam Vartak quipped: "We (fighter pilots)love challanges".
    'Aerobatics' is in fact an advertisement to attract potential military aspirants to join the forces. It is also a training platform where the skills of air warriors are put to test.
    These brave men carry out the job with verve, but does that provide a satisafactory answer to the question?
    Lt Cdr Rahul, RIP.
    anandan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in the same colony where he was based. I have never met him, I think. But I have met an officer from this team, whose name I have forgotten. Since I am an aviation enthusiast and a plane spotter, I could only show my thrill while talking to this gentleman. I have the same questions as you asked here, and I wonder what madness possesses people like Rahul Nair. We can't understand it, we wont be able to -- ever. it is such a tragic loss for the country to lose such a young aviator. I can only wish that his family derives strength from his life. Its sad, really. I am heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hai could u give a photo of rahul

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in absolute shock and disblief. My sister and brother-in-law are also in Goa(Lt Cdr Rajat Kumar). They where very close to Lt Cdr Rahul Nair and family. Just a evening before they where at my sisters house for tea. I still can recollect how Rahul was a source of strength when my Bro-in-Law's, bro-in-law , Lt Cdr Saxena passed away in a air crash few months back in the sea's of Goa.
    May Rahul's soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I am Rahul's sister in law. If anybody has a message for his family, please write to me at jasleen.makker@gmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I salute the bravery and courage of Rahul bhayya who don't let the aircraft to shut into the residential area even though he has a chance to eject himself out save his own life .JAI HIND

    ReplyDelete