Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hats off to these good people

Was away over the weekend in Kerala - Sudha's brother was opening a new wing at his eye hospital in Kochi so we had to be around! Sudha ofcourse, had gone on earlier as she was required to be at hand at the betrothal of a niece of mine in Trivandrum. So lots of traveling has been happening and as a consequence lots of mails to catch up with!!

I have to recount the details of an interesting thing that happened to me enroute to Kochi. I usually take out all the stuff in my pockets and put it in my pillowcase before I retire for the night on the train. Its an overnight journey from here to Kochi. So as usual I took out my wallet, my credit card wallet , pen, mobile and other little knick knacks and put them into the pillowcase and hit the sack. I woke up next morning and took out all the stuff from my pillowcase and put it right back in the respective pockets and waited for the destination station - when it did, I grabbed my backpack and a little shopping bag and got off the train and headed home for breakfast. After lunch I receive a call from a strange number on my mobile phone asking me if I had lost anything on the train! I said 'I don't think so' and the voice at the other end asked me if my credit card wallet was with me - that was when it struck me that it was missing!! All my cards were in that one wallet as was my ATM access card and a few airline frequent flyer cards and my driving licence!! I almost froze thinking of the enormous damage that could have happened if indeed the wallet was lost! The voice at the other end of the line turned out to be that of an Inspector in the Railway Protection Force (RPF) that travels on the trains these days. The cleaners at the destination station had found the wallet and handed it over to the RPF Inspector who found my visiting cards in the wallet and made that call!! He soon verified that it was indeed my wallet and asked that I send somebody to Trivandrum Central to collect the wallet! By mid day the next day I had my cards back with me!! Don't know how to thank the folks who arranged all this and am so glad that inspite of all the cynicism that surrounds us, honesty is still something we can find around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment